Carlos Cea is an emerging artist from San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas.
For creations to appear in reality, creators undergo a constant dialogue between statism and movement. They stop to contemplate the phenomenon and then move in a ritualistic way under unusual patterns of behavior, which end circumstantially manifesting themselves in the work. Carlos Cea is not the exception, but neither is synonymous nor rule.
Out of his chaotic mind sprout the most ruthless attempts to make memory survive. It is as if he were still and moving at the same time. His work seems to be a convergent alterity, which opens and closes like a heart pumping food. And in the center of its aesthetics, the brilliant image of darkness and light, dialoguing to reveal the form; sometimes quiet and sometimes smoky.
There is no comfort in it. However centered it becomes one of his paintings, drawings or illustrations, there is something vibrant that does not rest and that seems to be looking for something. Sometimes his work tears apart mutations of the spirit, which seem to want to leave to seek peace. Even in them, there is a point that does not move and remains in the stillness, attenuating the violence and the storm of the pictorial imagination.
Carlos Cea, throws himself without any fear of the Abyss. He already knows the other side of the mirror. It blends with what is out of order and transmutes it into a warm flame that takes up space with emphasis and does not release it until the spectator’s psyche is fully burned; His work overflows the nostalgic and directs it towards other thresholds, destined to be, sooner or later, discovered by the singular visual experience that its author offers without any whim to be seen. It simply is.
Already far below, he meets the others.
He knows them well and then turns to winnow.
Only this time, up.
Always without fear.
Cea was born on September 2, 1990, in the municipality of Chicomuselo Chiapas. At the age of 3 years he moved to the city of Comitán de Domínguez, where he studied always with the focus and concern for drawing. He continued his university studies in the city of Tuxtla Gutiérrez, recently graduated with a degree in visual arts from the Universidad de Ciencias y Artes de Chipas (UNICAH).
He served as a member and founder of the collective “Intermitente”, a multidisciplinary group with various urban interventions and cultural events were held in the city of Tuxtla Gutiérrez, such as the “vagabundo fest” and audiovisual art festivals.
In 2017 he was a professor in the screen printing workshop at the Gestalt art and design university in Tuxtla Gutierréz. He currently holds the position of art director for the independent gallery Art Works, which for a year and a half has functioned as a space and cultural forum for various multidisciplinary exhibitions with local and national artists, both emerging and established.
Today he lives in San Cristóbal de las Casa, his work is multidisciplinary, he develops in areas such as painting, mural painting, illustration, engraving, photography and video, as well as digital media.
- 2014 Collective exhibition “Regalo de Chiapas”. Year of the Mexico-Japan exchange, 400th anniversary of the Hasekura Mission. Exhibition hall Gallery Hirioriyama, Japan.
- 2015 Collective Exhibition of Contemporary Art, “16 en gráfica”. Centro Universitario de información y documentación. Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas.
- 2015: Multidisciplinary collective exhibition “De lo real a lo propio” Cintalapa art gallery, Chiapas.
- 2015: 2nd UNICACH mini-stamp Biennial, auditorium of the Juan Sabines auditorium, Ciudad Universitaria. Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas.
- 2015: XXI Festival of Plastic Arts. 9th Plastic Salon Chiapaneca. Gallery of Contemporary Art, located inside the Cultural Center of Chiapas Jaime Sabines.
- 2016: Collective pictorial exhibition “5th cultural and sports week”. Judicial Branch of the State of Chiapas, 2016.
- 2016: Multidisciplinary collective exhibition “Arte por la paz”, Tecnológico de Monterrey, Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas.
- 2017: Individual exhibition “Gente bizarra”. Café urbano, interior of the Museo de la Ciudad, Tuxtla Gutiérrez Chiapas.
- 2017: Anti-corruption project, “políticos rat-art” traveling exhibition in the republic.
- 2017: Contemporary plastic exhibition “Intersecciones” exhibition room El Parachico, Ex-Convent of Santo Domingo, Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas.
- 2017: Individual exhibition “La mente se viste de cuerpo” in gallery of Arteria Chiapas A.C., in San Cristobal de las Casas, November.
- 2017: Duo exhibition “Del orden al caos” Roof Gallery, Plaza Conteiner Square, Tuxtla Gutiérrez Chiapas.
- 2017: Collective exhibition “Mentes, gráfica y pintura” Xhan dú Gallery & Tattoo, San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas.
- 2017: Collective exhibition “Equilibristas” gallery of Arteria Chiapas A.C., in San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas.
- 2017 “Posdata” collective exhibition. Museo de Las Culturas Populares, in San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas.
- 2018: Collective exhibition “Postdata” in Sereno Art Hotel, in San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas 2018.